Thursday 19 July 2012

Top 3 Drugstore/High Street Foundations

I have tried loads and I mean loads of drugstore foundations over the years and finally I have found 3 that really work for me. The main reason it has been so difficult is because I have quite pale and dry skin so it has been hard to find a foundation that isn't too orange while not giving a patchy finish at the same time.
Left to right: Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation in 100 'Ivory', Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation in 51 'Light Vanilla, L'oreal Infallible Lasting Perfection Foundation 15 'Poreclain'



Left to right: L'oreal, Bourjois and Rimmel swatches
 1. L'Oreal Infallible Lasting Perfection Foundation

Although I have already reviewed this product I thought I should add that having used it a lot since then I would say it is definitely not suitable for oily skin and that if I had been in the sun lately the shade would probably be a little too light. I think this will probably be my go-to foundation this autumn/winter.

2. Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation

There are many things I love about this foundation. The consistency is great making the product easily blend able but I would be aware that if feels like you are using way more product than normal then you are actually using the right amount. The foundation is quite thick so one pump is sufficient making the product last longer and the thickness also prevents streaking.

The packaging also adds to my positive opinion of this product. I love the use of bright orange and the fact it's in a clear glass bottle allowing you to see how much of the product you have used. The pump applicator is also a great feature.

The only negative I've found is the shade range. Even though my shade is the lightest it still does appear much darker than the other two foundations in the picture above which I also find in reality. That to me makes it better for summer use or when I want a more glowy bronzed look to me skin.

I got this product for only £8.99 which is great value for such an excellent product.


3. Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation

First off this foundation, compared to the other to is much more watery and therefore runny in consistency which is probably the main reason it is in third place. However this is the foundation I've been using for the longest which grants its place here.

There are lots of positive things about this foundation:
  • it has a great fruity smell,
  • it lightweight for when you want a light to medium coverage, 
  • it still covers blemishes even though its lightweight, 
  • the finish is very natural and 
  • the bottle has a pump applicator.

The negative things I've discovered is that for me
  • it can be difficult to apply to my dry skin and can end up quite streaky, 
  • also the shade range is again, as often found with drugstore foundations, not considerate of the lightest and darkest skin tones meaning the shade I have just is not light enough for my skin and 
  • lastly the packaging, plastic instead of glass, is disappointing considering this retails for more than the Rimmel foundation.

I got this product for £9.99 from boots.

What did you think of these foundations? Did they meet your expectations?

Thanks for reading! We'd love to know what you think of our blog.

Emma x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...